There’s a 1st time for everything, and this was my 1st time making meatballs. I thought that a meatball sub sounded like a comforting thing to eat after getting through the 2nd week of our new semester, and I know that Dustin misses the ones from our college days at Giovanni’s in Santa Barbara. This recipe makes about 20 meatballs, which was a little much for the 2 of us. Halve it if you don’t want an excessive amount of leftovers!
1 lb. ground chicken
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tsp. oregano (fresh or dried)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 TBS. olive oil for frying
2 French bread rolls
4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your hands until evenly combined.
- Form into 1-inch balls (I did this in the afternoon and put the balls in the fridge until dinner time)
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan
- When hot, add the meatballs (10 at a time) and fry for about 8-10 minutes or until they’re browned on all sides.
- Add to a pan of your favorite tomato sauce, warmed, (either store bought or homemade).
- Make a cut in your rolls from the top (cutting down, instead of on the side) and remove some of the bread on either side of the cut.
- Fill each roll with meatballs and sauce. Top with 2 slices of mozzarella cheese and place under a broiler or in a toaster oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve with a salad and you’ve got dinner!