It’s HOT. The cats are sprawled out underneath the ceiling fan (I may just join them), and I’m thinking about how growing up on the California central coast has really spoiled me when it comes to weather! But thanks to some leftover BBQ chicken breasts from the night before, we didn’t have to cook anything on the hottest day in Santa Cruz since 1899! We heaped chopped lettuce onto two plates, scattered some grated pepper-jack cheese over it, added the chicken that we shredded, and some sliced avocado and tortilla chips. Dustin made a cool sour cream-lime dressing that tied everything together! A bottle of crisp & minerally Big House White finished off the meal. Keep this one in mind when ridiculous weather is happening in your town!
For the Dressing:
4 ounces sour cream (from an 8 oz. container)
2 small limes
salt & pepper
For the Salad:
red leaf lettuce, chopped
a few handfuls of grated pepper-jack cheese
a few handfuls of cilantro
2 chicken breast halves, (preferably grilled) cooled and shredded
1 avocado, sliced
a few handfuls of tortilla chips
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, juice of 2 limes, and seasonings. Taste and add more of something if you think it needs it. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the lettuce, then roughly chop it. Divide between two plates.
- Scatter the grated cheese on top of the lettuce, followed by the cilantro and shredded chicken.
- Place half a sliced avocado on the side of each plate. Scatter some tortilla chips (lightly crushed, if you prefer) around the plate.
- Spoon the dressing on top of each salad. Finish with a dollop of your favorite salsa.