After weeks of writing about Swedish food and travel adventures, it feels both strange and comforting to once again be blogging from our own kitchen! This is a meal that we made a few days after returning home, but it had to wait in line until now! My cousin Nikita came over to cook dinner with us and this is the menu we came up with together.
Red Trout is a delicious, mild fish that goes well with whatever seasoning you choose. We decided to pan fry the fillets in a skillet, marinated in a garlicky-lime concoction that Dustin threw together in the food processor. The salad was Nikita’s creation – I love fresh mizuna because of its mildly spicy flavor. The cubes of manchego cheese add great texture and earthy flavor to the salad. The mango provides the sweetness to offset the slightly spicy-citrusy dressing. We served the fish and the salad with simple steamed white rice. And don’t forget the cocktails – the combination of mango, lemonade, and ginger beer is really refreshing. Serve over ice and sip in the backyard before dinner!
Pan-Fried Red Trout Fillets with Citrus & Garlic
1/2 a white onion
4 cloves of garlic
zest of 2 small limes*
juice from 1 lemon
salt & pepper
1 trout fillet per person
*We used lime zest because we needed the juice for our salad dressing. You could use the zest of the lemon in its place.
- Combine the onion, garlic, lime zest, and lemon juice in a food processor, and process for about 5 seconds. While machine is running, add some olive oil until it becomes the consistency of a paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture over the trout fillets and place in a Ziplock bag to marinate for a bit.
- When ready to cook, heat a pan or skillet over high heat. Add a little olive oil to coat the bottom. Remove fillets from bag and place in the pan skin side down. Cook for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to plates and serve with steamed rice and the delicious salad below.
Mizuna-Mango-Manchego Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
a few big handfuls of mizuna, washed and dried
1 mango, cubed
about 4 ounces of manchego cheese, cubed
juice of 2 small limes
cayanne pepper to taste
paprika to taste
salt & pepper to taste
- Place the mizuna in a salad bowl. Add the cubes of mango and the manchego.
- In a small jar or container with a tight-fitting lid, combine some olive oil, the lime juice, cayenne, paprika, and salt & pepper. Shake vigorously. Taste and adjust seasonings (and amount of oil, if needed).
- Pour over salad and toss gently.
Mango Vodka (we used Absolut – it’s from Sweden! :))
- Fill a highball glass with ice. Add a shot of mango vodka. Top with lemonade and then ginger beer. Stir and serve. See? That was simple!