Sometimes just a single store bought ingredient can inspire an entire meal. That was the case here. My parents sent us a jar of chipotle cheese dip in our last package, and I jumped right on it because I have a weakness for cheese — especially the kind in a jar that you eat warm with chips. This stuff looked a little too sophisticated for just chips, so we decided to smother steak sandwiches with it, and what a great idea it was, though extremely messy! And thanks to import produce from warmer countries, we found some really delicious avocados and tomatoes, even in February; perfect for this side salad, lightly dressed with lime juice. Next time a jar of cheese (preferably seasoned with chipotle) entices you, try this!
1/2 a baguette, sliced lengthwise
10 strips of sirloin steak, thinly sliced
1 lime, juice + zest
chilli powder, about 1 tsp.
cumin, about 1/2 tsp.
1 jar of chipotle cheese dip, such as Xochitl
1 avocado, sliced
1 large tomato, sliced
1/2 a red onion, sliced
a drizzle of olive oil
- Season the steak strips with the salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder and the zest of a lime. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat your pan or BBQ and cook the steak to your desired doneness.
- Toast the baguette halves. Top them with the sizzling steak.
- Heat up the cheese dip for about 1 minute in the microwave or in a small saucepan. Top the steak with the cheese.
- Serve alongside the sliced avocado, tomato and red onion, seasoned with salt & pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and a few squeezes of fresh lime juice.
yum! this looks amazing!
What a great idea!! I definitely want to try that out. I love chipotle cheese dips… mmm!
This sounds really good, I love food with some spice to it.